Monday, January 29, 2007

Film Recommendation

Peronal note: My post on Christian unity is taking a little longer to gel than I had hoped. In the meantime I thought I'd offer a recommendation.

Last Monday, I was fotunate to attend a preview of a film called Bella. It won the 2006 Toronto Film festival. I can understand why: the story, direction, and acting were all excellent. It really makes you realize how precious life is.

I can't find the general release date online, but I seem to recall that the filmmakers said March 2007. It's a film worth going way out of your way to see.


IMDB entry

Here's a clip of reviews from the Wikipedia entry:

ABC NEWS: A romantic drama….Mexican director Alejandro Gomez Monteverde's Bella tells the story of two people whose lives converge and turn upside down on a single day in New York. It has won the People's Choice Award, which is often an indicator of future Academy Award nominations.

INCONTENTION.com (An Oscar Website) Bella marks the debut feature of Alejandro Gomez Monteverde, a truly humble man in awe of the fact that he's actually made it here. It's better to know as little as possible about this film before going into it but let me tell you that it feels both sincere and loving. It's great to see a film that legitimately moves the viewer without being drowned in sap. And it does this in just 90 minutes. If it comes your way, see it. You won't regret it.

FOX NEWS: I am very pleased that the Toronto Film Festival chose Bella to win their top audience award over the weekend…. It's incredibly charming, with terrific performances by Tammy Blanchard and Mexican star Eduardo Verastegui and Manny Perez. It's directed by Alejandro Gomez Monteverde. It's too easy to say this is the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" of this season, because "Bella" is far more complex and sophisticated while losing none of the humor. Whoever decides to release Bella will have a nice little hit on their hands. The freshness and lack of affectation in Bella must have appealed to audiences who had to endure a number of big-name films that seemed contrived, stale or calculated.

No comments: