Saturday, July 20, 2024

The Present

I may get in trouble for this, but I mean nothing heterodox. Let me hasten to clarify: God of course is complete and perfect in himself, requiring nothing outside himself. But there's a sense in which he withdraws a bit to make room for each of us creatures.

So that God plus me is a whole.

In that sense, God is my "other half," my complement. He is present like my shadow, though it would be closer to the truth to say that I'm like his shadow, being at best a limited expression of his infinite perfections.

When we say he is Present, it's not just in the sense of Gift, but also that he is the Present One, existing in the Eternal Now, but also in every now of time. Each of these moments of time is a fragment of that Eternity. And dwelling in it is our Sufficiency.

God alone is enough.

No comments: